What’s Coming This Episode?
The death of Robin Williams has struck a chord and raised an issue that has, up to now, been mainly hidden. Middle aged suicides in both males and females has remained largely unaddressed.
The idea that suicide is cowardice is held by those with little understanding or empathy and they can be forgiven for their ignorance, actually killing yourself is quite difficult and, in most cases requires determination and indeed courage.
A tough issue to deal with but we’ve done our best. Enjoy the show, it’s The Self Help Podcast.
Show Notes and Links
- Here’s Sean’s blog post for the week – read it with your eyes
- In case you hadn’t heard, Robin Williams took his life not long back
- Great post by the amazing Chase Reeves that explains the mad genius of the man that inspired this weeks show
- ‘Britain’s male suicide rate is a national tragedy‘
- More info re. gender differences in suicide
- Some ‘light’ reading on the Suicide Act of 1961
- The Samaritans
- NHS Choices dedicated page for help
Resource of the Week
- Sean has found an extract from a book first published in 1897 by Emile Durkheim, simply titled Suicide
- Ed suggests you watch a film called The Royal Tenenbaums; partly because it has a suicide scene in it, but also because it’s completely wonderful
Stay in Touch
We’re all over the web, so feel free to stay in touch:
- Follow Live in the Present on Twitter and Facebook for daily doses of inspiration
- Follow presenter Edward Lamb on Twitter
- Follow therapist Sean Orford on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to our weekly podcast on iTunes
Leave us an Honest Review on iTunes
We’d be amazingly grateful if you could leave us a review on iTunes. It will really help us to build our audience. So, if your like what you hear (and would like to hear more great free content) then visit our iTunes page and leave us an honest review (all feedback gratefully received!).